Hi everyone! My name is Amanda from Old House to New Home and I am so excited to be doing a guest post today! This project is fun, cheap, and easy, and I hope you enjoy it!
Since we moved last August, my poor pretty jewelry has been living in ziploc bags scattered throughout my closet. For some reason, I just never got around to unpacking it. Most days as I got ready for work, I’d think to myself, hmmmm maybe if my jewelry wasn’t in a giant tangled mess I would actually wear it. This train of thought has been going on for months until this past weekend when I finally decided to untangle my 9 million necklaces and get around to organizing them.
I started by going through what I had. I found so many broken pieces and things that I bought in the 8th grade. I sorted into piles, keep, throw away, save as play jewelry, and when I finished, I had a much more streamlined collection of stuff that I will actually wear.
I have seen many jewelry organizers on Pinterest. Some people use corkboards, some use old frames with ribbon, and some people have made elaborate boxes with mirrors on the front. My only conditions were that I wanted to use what I already had and I wanted it to be easy.
Since I had an unwanted corkboard living in my craft storage room for months now, I decided to use that. I removed the frame around it because I wanted the necklaces to lay flat when they were hanging. By using the opposite side of the hammer, I pried off the frame. It came off pretty easily and I didn’t inflict myself with lots of splinters, which is always a plus.
I dug through my fabric scraps, and found this chevron fabric that I had used to make table runners for my friend’s bridal shower. After a thorough ironing, I simply wrapped it around the corkboard, pulling tightly, and then used a staple gun on the back. After reading through many tutorials, I saw that others had used hot glue, spray adhesive, or glue dots. I had just used hot glue on my Kitchen Command Center Memo Board and it was messy business, so I went with the staple gun this time. My staples were a little long and poked through in spots, but I hammered them down. You can barely notice them now with all the jewelry hanging.
After stapling the fabric, I used a saw tooth hanger that I had bought at Joanne’s (You can get a six pack for 1.50) and hammered it into the cork. Well…this is where things went wrong. After hanging for a day, my nicely organized jewelry fell down because the cork wasn’t strong enough to hold in the saw tooth hanger. So I had to find a solution. I adhered a little piece of wood to the back of the cork using hot glue and then hammered the sawtooth hanger into the wood. (not pictured) This seems to be holding much better now.
So here is the finished guy ready to go…or so I thought. After looking at it, I decided it needed more, because honestly, I have a hard time with the less is more concept. I had recently purchased this pink washi tape and thought it would make the perfect border around the edges.
And because that still wasn’t enough, I decided to do a faux nail head trim in the corners using thumb tacks.
To finish it off, I used brightly colored oversized push pins to hang the jewelry. I bought this pack for around 3 dollars at Walmart. And voila! My jewelry is now organized and I can see what I have!
Thank you so much Amanda for your great post! I love your new jewelry organizer. If you want to know more about her check out her blog, Old House to New Home or check out her Facebook and Pinterest page by clicking on the buttons below.